[Nix-dev] Re: [Nix-commits] SVN commit: nix - 17460 - viric - in nixos/trunk/modules: . config installer installer/generations-dir installer/grub system/activation

Nicolas Pierron nicolas.b.pierron at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 12:00:13 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 10:32, Eelco Dolstra <e.dolstra at tudelft.nl> wrote:
>> Making modular my previous changes for armv5tel. I updated the way to use
>> grub. Its options are no more inside 'boot', but inside 'boot.loader.grub'.
>
> Renaming the Grub-related options to boot.loader.grub is not necessarily a bad
> idea, but it does break just about every NixOS configuration file :-)  It also
> requires the manual and examples to be updated (in particular because of
> boot.grubDevice).
>
> It would be nice if we had some mechanism to declare option renamings, e.g. that
> every value for "boot.grubDevice" in a configuration file is renamed to
> "boot.loader.grub.device".  (Nicolas?)

We can have one "rename.nix" module where we can set things like:

rename obsolete "boot.grubDevice" to "boot.loader.grub.device"
rename alias "boot.grubDevice" to "boot.loader.grub.device"

which will just be a sugar over the module syntax.

--
Nicolas Pierron
http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicolasbpierron