[Nix-dev] Re: [Nix-commits] SVN commit: nix - 17460 - viric - in nixos/trunk/modules: . config installer installer/generations-dir installer/grub system/activation

Lluís Batlle viriketo at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 10:58:22 CEST 2009

Hello,

2009/9/28, Eelco Dolstra <e.dolstra at tudelft.nl>:
> Hi,
>
>  Llus Batlle wrote:
>
>  > Log:
>  > Making modular my previous changes for armv5tel. I updated the way to use
>  > grub. Its options are no more inside 'boot', but inside 'boot.loader.grub'.
>
>  Renaming the Grub-related options to boot.loader.grub is not necessarily a bad
>  idea, but it does break just about every NixOS configuration file :-)  It also
>  requires the manual and examples to be updated (in particular because of
>  boot.grubDevice).

I knew about the break... but, could I have done it easier? I felt I
would not annoy much more than some other changes I noticed in nixos
(like the last change in the policy kit or whatever, linked to
nixpkgs, or the not usage of ~/.nixpkgs/config.nix I noticed only
today).
I hope not many people blame the change.

>  It would be nice if we had some mechanism to declare option renamings, e.g. that
>  every value for "boot.grubDevice" in a configuration file is renamed to
>  "boot.loader.grub.device".  (Nicolas?)

Automagically? Would it be worth the effort? I imagine it quite
complex, for this not to fail often, but maybe a quick solution (which
I don't image) would work.

>  > --- nixos/trunk/modules/installer/generations-dir/generations-dir-builder.sh                          (rev 0)
>  > +++ nixos/trunk/modules/installer/generations-dir/generations-dir-builder.sh  2009-09-27 21:51:37 UTC (rev 17460)
>
>  Since this file has a lot in common with the Grub menu builder, it might be a
>  good idea to factor out the commonality.
I agree. I left the 'factoring' for the future, once it works.

>  > --- nixos/trunk/modules/installer/generations-dir/generations-dir.nix                         (rev 0)
>  > +++ nixos/trunk/modules/installer/generations-dir/generations-dir.nix 2009-09-27 21:51:37 UTC (rev 17460)
>  > +  options = {
>  > +    boot = {
>  > +      loader = {
>  > +        generationsDir = {
>
>  It's better nowadays to write boot.loader.generationsDir = { ... } because it
>  gives fewer indentation levels.
Ok.

>  > -      grubDevice = mkOption {
>
>  I'd rename this to "device" or something since grub.grubDevice is redundant.
I didn't think of it, and I agree, of course.