[Nix-dev] Re: What should the build farm build?

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Thu Sep 24 13:38:15 CEST 2009

Hi,

Eelco Dolstra <e.dolstra at tudelft.nl>
writes:

> Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>
>> Nicolas Pierron
>> <nicolas.b.pierron at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> The idea was to only build maintained packages?
>>
>> Yes.
>
> Why should it build *only* maintained packages?

The rationale was (1) to maintain a selection of which packages get
built (as opposed to building everything), and (2) to give an incentive
for people to actually maintain a package.

But I guess there’s another question behind it which only you can
answer: why not build everything?  So far, I’ve been under the
assumption that we shouldn’t abuse TU Delft’s build farm.

> If there is a meta.platforms attribute, it doesn't hurt to build it
> anyway.

I don’t think it’s worth building a package if nobody dared to put their
name in it.

Thanks,
Ludo’.