[Nix-dev] Today I booted NixOS in the Sheevaplug arm

Lluís Batlle viriketo at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 10:24:49 CEST 2009

2009/9/23, Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de>:
> How does it copmare to an arm emulator such as qemu ?
If I run the qemu arm emulator for the same software in my Athlon
Sempron 1600MHz, the software in qemu (I tested with openssl speed)
runs 10 times slower than in the Sheevaplug.

>  And what will you use your work for ? *being curious*
I hope it will be the server I have at my ADSL line at home, and I'll
be able to throw away the current Pentium II 300MHz NixOS there
serving ;)
This way I plan to have less noise and less power consumption.

Of course this has also been a way of getting dirty with a popular
non-x86 architecture, which I also enjoy. And it being not that
expensive - I could afford buying a sheevaplug, while I could not
afford (according to benefits I could imagine) other flexible arm
devices with a ready linux system and jtag.