[Nix-dev] Re: Separating Free/non-free package

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Sat Sep 19 23:22:15 CEST 2009

Excerpts from ludo's message of Sat Sep 19 22:27:00 +0200 2009:
> Hi Marc,
>
> Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de> writes:
>
> > So basically you're asking for
> >
> > meta = {
> >   license = { reviewed = true; value = "GPL"; }; # .. bad if you copy paste. You can forget to change this
> > }
>
> That’s one possibility but I find it tedious.  For instance, all GNU
> packages are free per the 4 freedoms, so it seems easier to just list
> them in a file (which is what I called “free-packages.nix” or
> “gnu-packages.nix”) than to update their license field.

Why?

vim
:grep -r mirror://gnu
create rewrite macro jump to next search result
2000 at q
:wa
done.

Moving files *is* more work.

I feel about this topic like I do about bookmarks.
They don't fit into a tree structure. I want to tag them eg by
documentation or project or whatnot.

In the end I want to access the attributes in some way.
I can't do so by changing path only. This is for humans only editing the
files. We can't derive that a system is made up of free software this
way. (Maybe by removing the files containing non free packages..)

cu Marc Weber