[Nix-dev] Re: [Nix-commits] SVN commit: nix - 17136 - viric - in nixpkgs/branches/stdenv-updates/pkgs: stdenv/linux tools/compression/bzip2 tools/networking/curl

Lluís Batlle viriketo at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 10:50:44 CEST 2009

2009/9/15 Ludovic Courtès <ludo at gnu.org>:
> Hi!
>
> Llus Batlle <viriketo at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> -  curlDiet = import ../../tools/networking/curl {
>> -    inherit fetchurl;
>> -    stdenv = useDietLibC stdenv;
>> +  curlStatic = import ../../tools/networking/curl {
>> +    inherit fetchurl stdenv;
>>      zlibSupport = false;
>>      sslSupport = false;
>> +    linkStatic = true;
>>    };
>
> This is now using (e)glibc instead of Diet Libc IIUC.  Isn’t this likely
> to cause breakage?
I don't want it to cause any breakage! :)
dietlibc is poorly maintained, at least for arm. It doesn't work
easily for network-programs. It has some posix functions set to use
very old syscalls, now obsolete in arm eabi kernels. And there aren't
already-written alternatives there which use the new. At the end the
dietlibc didn't have that posix calls, which needed the old syscalls.
I didn't want to fix dietlibc, and I preferred not to rely on it.

> Also, why do you need to link Curl, Bzip2, etc., statically, whereas
> this wasn’t needed so far?
Linking with dietlibc was the way to get them statically compiled (and
I guess, as these files are in nixpkgs, for them to be small).

Nevertheless yesterday it still didn't work: libnss was used
dynamically. Today I commited a fix through a 'new glibc build', and
now these work with the static libnss of 'files' and 'dns'. 'curl' was
failing before this. It could not resolve any internet hostname.

Regards,
Lluís.