[Nix-dev] Re: [Nix-commits] SVN commit: nix - 16951 - eelco - nixos/trunk/tests

Eelco Dolstra e.dolstra at tudelft.nl
Thu Sep 3 08:58:09 CEST 2009

Hi,

Michael Raskin wrote:

> Eelco Dolstra wrote:
>> * Another distributed regression test, a network consisting of a Quake
>>   3 server and two clients.  The clients connect to the server and do
>>   nothing (except getting blown by the bots).  After a few seconds we
>>   verify that the clients indeed connected successfully, and make a
>>   screenshot of the X displays of the clients.
>
>> -      print STDERR $client->execute("DISPLAY=:0.0 scrot /hostfs/$ENV{out}/screen.png");
>
> Why not just "xwd | convert - file.png" ?

That's what I did, but xwd dies with a "X_QueryColors" error as soon as you have
an OpenGL window on your screen.  The "import" program from ImageMagick works
slightly better: it gives a black rectangle where the OpenGL window is.  It took
a while to find a non-interactive program to take screenshots of such desktops.
 For instance, ksnapshot, GIMP and gnome-screenshot all work, but not from the
command-line.  Also, scrot is a lot more light-weight than those :-)