[Nix-dev] Re: *.tar.lzma archives

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Fri Oct 16 23:12:24 CEST 2009

Hello,

"Sander van der Burg - EWI"
<S.vanderBurg at tudelft.nl> writes:

> I noticed that *.tar.lzma tarballs are becoming more common now,

I’m not sure about that.  My understanding is that it used to be in
fashion at some point, but eventually got superseded by ‘xz’ (and
perhaps something else before).

So I’m inclined to leaving just gzip and bzip2 in ‘stdenv’ by default.

What do you think?

[...]

> The libtool unpack command, however, does not work on OpenBSD since
> the -f option is not passed to the tar command

But OpenBSD’s stdenv now uses GNU tar, right?

At any rate, ‘libtool2.nix’ does “lzma -d < $src | tar xv”, which should
be POSIXly correct.  If it’s not, changing it to
“lzma -d < $src | tar xv -” should be enough.

> (yes, we have more platforms now in the buildfarm).

That’s cool, thank you!

Ludo’.