[Nix-dev] Audacity, I know why it won't build, Need strategy recommendations please

Tony White tonywhite100 at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 16 08:54:28 CEST 2009

Hello good people,
I am after the audacity expression and it won't build. I've managed to
workout why. It's deps like libmad, which are not looking for the
result of a libmad compile as like : LIBMAD_LIBS=${libmad}
It is actually looking for the compiled or uncompiled libmad source
files (I'll try uncompiled with ${libmad} if it wants both, which I
suspect it will... be greedy like that.)

What I really need is a suggestion on how to download, use and then
discard the sources for each dep like libmad that audacity seems to
want the source code for. Obviously having an expression for source
code which is just a build time dep wastes space in the nix store
because it won't be used again unless audacity is recompiled.

I was thinking something like; multiple fetchurls in the expression to
grab all the src archives but is that the right way and I would make
sure that ./configure && make && make install is only done on the
extracted audacity src how?

Is there an elegant and simple way that anyone can suggest for me to try?

Thanks,
Tony