[Nix-dev] Does $NIXPKGS_CONFIG still work for anyone?

Nicolas Pierron nicolas.b.pierron at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 04:47:53 CEST 2009

Hi Tony,

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 03:09, Tony White <tonywhite100 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to use $NIXPKGS_CONFIG again which in my case I want to use
> /nix/etc/config.nix to set some options system wide. git svn and the
> jre plugin.
> I remember using $NIXPKGS_CONFIG before and it worked. So I looked
> back over the thread where it was explained to me how to use it.

$NIXPKGS_CONFIG create some noise around reproducibility.  To ease
reproducibility, we have to keep it as pure as possible.  Thus we
should not depends on such environment variables.

> Now I try to use it with modular NixOs and it doesn't seem to take any more.
>
> This is what's in /nix/etc/config.nix :
>
> {
>        git = { svnSupport = true; };
>        subversion = { perlBindings = true; };
>        wrapFirefox = { jrePlugin = true; };
> }

Now NixOS allow you to define such configuration inside your computer
configuration by defining the option "nixpkgs.config".  So inside you
/etc/nixos/configuration.nix, just add:

nixpkgs.config = {
       git = { svnSupport = true; };
       subversion = { perlBindings = true; };