[Nix-dev] Wireless firmware for NixOS Live CD

Eelco Dolstra e.dolstra at tudelft.nl
Wed Oct 14 11:34:23 CEST 2009

Hi,

Tony White wrote:

> I've just found out that this is no more. So it's been removed and
> replaced with stuff like :
> rt73.nix but how is it possible to download the firmware when I have
> to use rt73usb to do it???
> Or, use /etc/nixos/nixos/modules/services/hardware/udev.nix to load
> the firmware, but wait hardware.firmware = [   ]; so add a path to it
> and then nixos-rebuild switch the live cd. No that's not a good idea.

I couldn't quite parse that last paragraph ;-) but if you can't do a
nixos-rebuild, then here is a very hacky way to add a path to the firmware
search path:

$ find $(nix-store -qR /var/run/current-system/ | grep udev-rules) \
  | grep 00-path
/nix/store/08n14c4v8nnz4zi0jwl763r840p4kszj-udev-rules/00-path.rules

and edit the line ENV{FIRMWARE_DIRS}=... in that file.