[Nix-dev] Wireless firmware for NixOS Live CD

Tony White tonywhite100 at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 14 10:54:05 CEST 2009

2009/10/12 Tony White <tonywhite100 at googlemail.com>:
> 2009/10/11 Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de>:
>> Excerpts from roconnor's message of Sun Oct 11 15:42:03 +0200 2009:
>>>     hardware.firmware = [ pkgs.iwlwifi5000ucode ];
>>
>> At least we should add a /root/firware direcotry or such to the list of
>> paths being seearched for firmware on the live cd.
>> Then it's easy to put the required firmware in and use it.
>>
>> Of course enabling all firmware doesn't hurt if we have space left on
>> the cd..
>>
>> Marc Weber
>>

> Hi all,
>
> # /root/test-firmware is an impure location allowing quick testing
>   # of firmwares.
>
> In /etc/nixos/nixos/upstart-jobs/udev-firmware-loader.sh
>
> Then I guess it's a simple case of :
> modprobe INSERTMODULENAMEHERE
> after you've copied the firmware into /root/test-firmware.
> Adding firmware to the cds is a great idea imo but there are issues
> like displaying licenses for users to agree with before use. Firmware
> blobs generally aren't considered libre.
>
> Thanks,
> Tony

Hi,
I've just found out that this is no more. So it's been removed and
replaced with stuff like :
rt73.nix but how is it possible to download the firmware when I have
to use rt73usb to do it???
Or, use /etc/nixos/nixos/modules/services/hardware/udev.nix to load
the firmware, but wait hardware.firmware = [   ]; so add a path to it
and then nixos-rebuild switch the live cd. No that's not a good idea.

Any suggestions? Apart from use a cable, which I can't. Is there
anyway to do what I want without fussing? I just want to load a
firmware file that would normally just need to be placed in
/lib/firmware. :(

Thanks,
Tony