[Nix-dev] nixos-install --show-trace

Tony White tonywhite100 at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 14 07:45:52 CEST 2009

2009/10/14 Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de>:
> Hi Tony,
>
> I'll onnly reply to the --show-trace question.
> If you manage to rebuild your system once --show-tracew will magically
> work.
> Because you nixos-rebuild script is too old you don't have that option
> Just open the file $EDITOR `which nixos-rebuild` and add it manually.
> Yes - you should never edit store files - however this is an exception
> :)
> Or copy paste the nix-build command and run it manually adding that
> option.
>
> But if we are talking about nixos-rebuild: What about adding
> nixos-rebuild --fast which means nixos-rebuild --no-pull --no-build-nix ?
>
> It's much faster to type and easier to remember.. or maybe even better:
> What about pulling / building nix only once a day?
> Than running nixos-rebuild will be fast the second time automatically
> while still updating the system.
>
> Marc Weber

Hi Marc,
Nice! I just read the "New" Bits in the manual with all the new
"Sugary" Syntax goodness, so I'm ok with the config now. Just need to
move a few things around here to get online and then it's good to go.
:)
Thanks for mentioning the --fast switch. I may very well try that
going forward and I am sure that you are right about the age of the
version I've got. I probably should have gone straight to what's hot
and built cleanly on hydra (I think I was a little too eager to get
nix again now that I have a machine for it.)
I've spotted some very nice changes in configuration.nix that I'll
definately use and I'm guessing that wpa_supplicant isn't on the disc
because it depends on openssl?.. But openssl is an optional dep.

Thanks,
Tony