[Nix-dev] Wrong behaviour on "nix-env -u"

Eelco Dolstra e.dolstra at tudelft.nl
Tue Oct 13 12:01:58 CEST 2009

Hi,

Lluís Batlle wrote:

> to let Delft know, I tried a "nix-env -u '*' --dry-run", and among the
> coherent results, I got this line:
> upgrading `ise-webpack-10.1.3.1' to `ise-webpack-10.1.3.1'
>
> As far as I understand "-u", this package should not be proposed for
> update unless "--eq" is passed.

The only way that this should be possible (modulo bugs) is if you have a
priority meta-attribute on the installed or new package.  Nix-env does upgrade
to packages with the same (or lower) version if the new package has a higher
priority (= numerically lower "priority" field).  You can see the priority with
nix-env -q --meta --xml.

But maybe there is a bug in nix-env -u.  It currently fails in "make check" on
FreeBSD and OpenBSD (http://hydra.nixos.org/build/95328).