[Nix-dev] Re: Separating free and non-free packages, again

Nicolas Pierron nicolas.b.pierron at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 14:49:11 CET 2009

from http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html :
> A free system distribution must not steer users towards obtaining any nonfree information for practical use, or encourage them to do so. *** There should be no repositories or ports for nonfree software. *** Programs in the system should not suggest installing nonfree plugins, documentation, and so on.

Even forking non-free packages seems to be refused by these guilde-lines.

For practical use I suggest to filter out all packages which does not
match the *** user defined *** license predicate.  Such predicate
avoid confusion of the freeness terms: free to use or 4 freedoms ?
This will avoid creating directories for each category, which is still
not admitted by the previous guide-lines and not maintainable.  In
addition this implies that you cannot install something which does not
respect your own license predicate.

--
Nicolas Pierron
http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicolasbpierron - http://nbp.name/