[Nix-dev] Eclipse packaging

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Sat Nov 21 00:46:24 CET 2009

I'm still using it because

a) it allows me to have different versions of Eclipse working easily.
So I don't have to touch the setups which do work.

b) You found another reason why it makes sense to have a local copy of
Eclipse. Even if you remove /nix/store by accident (or update Eclipse)
your setup continues working when using the wrapper script.

So I'll shutup and move into my packageOverrides if its only me using it.
I confirm that installing plugins does work now. It didn't when I added
that wrapper script.

> - It's our job to package an application properly, not the user's.
It's not about an applcitation. It's about which applications to
support. I agree that Eclipse classic is the version being used most.
However there are many other bundles you can download. Who keep them up
to date? That's why I thought the wrapper script could be a nice
compromise so that you can make Eclipse run easily while letting the
user choose the Eclipse bundle he wants to use. It doesn't matter
whether that's a nightly Eclipse build or another bundle.

Marc Weber