[Nix-dev] Eclipse packaging

Eelco Dolstra e.dolstra at tudelft.nl
Fri Nov 20 16:03:55 CET 2009

Hi,

Sander van der Burg - EWI wrote:

> I removed the comments of my eclipse package in all-packages.nix for the
> following reasons:
>
> - I'd like to have Eclipse installed when I type nix-env -i, I don't
> want to download it myself and put it in my HOME dir. That's where we
> have the Nix package manager for, right?
> - Actually, you can use the Eclipse updater when you want to install
> plugins this way. I just did it myself by downloading the Eclipse PHP
> development tools and they seem to work fine. The plugins are saved in
> my workspace and it works.
> - My eclipse package integrates nicely in the KDE application menu.

For these reasons, I've removed the old versions of Eclipse (some of which were
called "new" and "newer"...).  I've also removed the runner script, since:

- It's our job to package an application properly, not the user's.
- All it really does is set LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
- While Eclipse "Classic" doesn't provide everything, its plugin mechanism does
seem to work.

There is one problem with the Eclipse Classic Nix package: if you change and
rebuild it, you lose all your settings, since Eclipse keeps its settings in a
directory that contains a number based on (apparently) its installation directory:

$ ll ~/.eclipse/
total 7
drwxr-xr-x 4 eelco users 1024 2009-11-20 15:27 org.eclipse.platform_3.5.0_120928261
drwxr-xr-x 4 eelco users 1024 2009-11-20 15:29 org.eclipse.platform_3.5.0_12853914