[Nix-dev] Separating free and non-free packages, again

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Thu Nov 19 18:23:01 CET 2009

I don't understand a small detail yet:

What is the goal? Is it enough to stop installing non free packages or
should the nix expressions used to build non-free packages be removed as
well from both an installed system and installation medias such as cds?

> > - Make sure that all packages have an appropriate meta.license attribute, and
> > automatically warn if the user tries to build an non-free package.  This is
> > still a good idea, but it takes much more work, and it doesn't actually allow
> > you to easily *remove* the non-free packages from Nixpkgs.

Everyone will stick to using svn update sooner or later and get back the
non-free directory this way ?
How are people using free systems supposed to do commits? They must care
about not committing the removed non-free directory all the time?

So can you clarify what the goal is ?

a) No non-free packages in /nix/store
b) no non-free packages in /nixos/nixpkgs/* additional to a)

If you want b) using two branches is the only sane way I know about.

Marc Weber