[Nix-dev] Upstart 0.6

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Thu Nov 19 18:07:11 CET 2009

Excerpts from Eelco Dolstra's message of Thu Nov 19 14:30:08 +0100 2009:
> Hi,
>
> I created a NixOS branch for switching to Upstart 0.6 recently, which seems to
> work fairly well now.  It's certainly a big improvement over Upstart 0.3.  Most
> importantly, you can now write a job such that when it emits its "started"
> event, it's actually ready (e.g. to accept connections).  Previously we had all
> kinds of race conditions involving job dependencies.
>
> I'd like to merge the branch into the trunk soon.  If you want to try it out, do
> the following:
>
> $ cd /etc/nixos/nixos
> $ svn switch ^/nixos/branches/upstart-0.6
> $ nixos-rebuild boot
>
> After this you should reboot, because the new Upstart isn't compatible with the
> old one.
>
> There is one issue with Upstart 0.6: the stdout/stderr of jobs no longer goes to
> /var/log/boot, but to the console.  This isn't very elegant, but I don't see an
> easy solution.  (I guess we can stick an "exec > /var/log/boot 2>&1" in the
> pre-start script, but you wouldn't get timestamps in the log.)
We could run it this way

addtimestamps $THE_SCRIPT or such.

Having timestamps is very nice. Even if they have an accuracy of +/-
1min it's better than having no time stamp at all.

So we implement a workaround for this.

I will try it as soon as I find some time to do so..

Thank you for pushing this.

Marc Weber