[Nix-dev] Re: New arm platform: qemu-system-arm

Lluís Batlle viriketo at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 05:11:30 CET 2009

Saluton,

2009/11/12 Ludovic Courtès <ludo at gnu.org>:
> Lluís Batlle <viriketo at gmail.com> writes:
>> If nixpkgs had only to handle programs, maybe cpu-vendor-kernel-os
>> would be enough, but by now it handles the kernel, the drivers, and
>> bootloaders too.
>
> Right.  In this case ‘config.guess’ probably isn’t enough.  In a ideal
> world, the ‘vendor’ part would be “sheevaplug”, and from that you could
> derive specific parameters needed by uboot et al.  But I don’t think
> config.guess currently detects that, so you’re probably right in that
> Nixpkgs must be provided with additional info.

Now I'm working with cross-compilers, and I was using the kind of
strings in config.guess, and they don't seem to be clearly enough to
define any platform even for programs, not kernels. For example,
objects built one with hardware FPU and the other with software FPU
may refuse to link. Something similar happens with MMU support I
think, but that would not involve ELF in linux systems I guess.

So even for the cross compilers we would need an attribute set telling
the 'config.guess' troika, and FPU or not, at least.

Regards,
Lluís