[Nix-dev] What about causing hard failures when trying to install superseded packages?

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Mon Nov 9 13:30:31 CET 2009

Lluís Batlle and I both missed that qemu_kvm replaces kvm* packages for
quite a while.

So what about causing hard failures when trying to install old packages
unless you explicitly enable them?

deprecatePackage = name : msg: pkg: if ! getConfig ["ignoreDeprecation" name] false && ! getConfig ["ignoreDeprecation" "all"] false
  then throw msg
  else pkg;

deprecatePackage "kvm-88" "use XY instead" { ..
};

Maybe deprecation is not general enough. Maybe it should be called

updateOrMigrateTo "foo-bar"  ?

How do you think about this?

It must be hard failures because I don't always watch the install
output. So tracing is not enough.

Marc Weber