[Nix-dev] Grub 2 problems

Eelco Dolstra e.dolstra at tudelft.nl
Sun Nov 1 14:48:40 CET 2009

Hi,

I tried Grub 2 on my home machine, but I ran into some problems:

- The extra Grub entry for my Windows partition is gone.  (It's still in
/boot/grub/menu.lst, but it doesn't appear.)

- The NixOS entries all failed with the error "You need to load the kernel
first."  This is probably caused by boot.loader.grub.bootDevice.  I was able to
manually boot into NixOS by editing an entry, removing the "(hd0,0)" device
names in the "linux" and "initrd" lines.

- fbcondecor no longer works, the NixOS console stays in text mode.  IIRC Grub
is supposed to parse the "vga=" kernel command line argument, but maybe it
doesn't do this anymore.

My Grub configuration:

  boot = {
    loader.grub.version = 2;
    loader.grub.device = "/dev/sda";
    loader.grub.bootDevice = "(hd0,0)";
    loader.grub.copyKernels = true; # separate /boot
    loader.grub.extraEntries =
      ''
        title Windows
          chainloader (hd0,3)+1