[Nix-dev] Bootstrap tools aren't statically linked.

Jeevakan Suresh Jeevakan.Suresh at macquarie.com
Wed May 27 08:20:49 CEST 2009

Hey guys.

I can no longer bootstrap trunk packages and the 0.13 pre-release nix on
my ancient RHEL machines :(. Even if I bring in the updates from
stdenv-updates branch it still all fails.

The culprit is
bootstrap-tools.cpio.bz2(http://nixos.org/tarballs/stdenv-linux/i686/r13
932/bootstrap-tools.cpio.bz2). Specifically, ld is dynamically linked
against /nix/store-e.*/glibc-2.9/lib/libc.so.6 - therefore when
installing glibc during bootstrap, you need LD_LIBRARY_PATH set for ld
to work.

Globally setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH (as is done in trunk) breaks /bin/sh
(since it tries to link against a different version of libc), not
setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH causes ld to fail (since it can't find libc)

Short of using the native stdenv - any ideas on how I can bootstrap?

Cheers
Jeeva.

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may contain copyright material of Macquarie Group Limited or third parties. If you are not the intended recipient of this email you should not read, print, re-transmit, store or act in reliance on this e-mail or any attachments, and should destroy all copies of them. Macquarie Group Limited does not guarantee the integrity of any emails or any attached files. The views or opinions expressed are the author's own and may not reflect the views or opinions of Macquarie Group Limited.