[Nix-dev] Hydra notification emails

Eelco Dolstra e.dolstra at tudelft.nl
Tue Jun 30 12:57:14 CEST 2009

Marc Weber wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 12:00:21PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> The former build farm would email `nix-commits' as soon as a build
>> fails, and until it's resolved.  While annoying, this solution had the
>> advantage of giving a heads-up that one could hardly miss.  ;-)
>>
>> Now Hydra just happily keeps going when something fails.
>>
>> Could Hydra be changed to email, say, the last 3 committers to a given
>> package when that package fail?  How hard is it to associate attributes
>> (packages) with file names in the SVN repo?

That's kind of tricky since there are many files that contribute to any
particular build.  Especially the use of functions makes it hard to see which
file "defines" a package.  (For instance, ultimately almost all derivations are
"made" in mkDerivation stdenv/generic/default.nix.)

Another possibility is to have a meta.maintainer field containing the email
address of the person to be spammed when a package breaks.

But in the meantime, we should just re-enable sending messages to nix-commits.
And bring back the RSS feeds :-)

> How should this look like? running strace on nix-build and then iterating backwards
> over commits until 3 commits are found touching any of nix files found
> by strace ?

Eh.

Or just spam everybody who committed since the last successful build of the
package :-)