[Nix-dev] bug? nix-env -qa doesnt find what it should

Eelco Dolstra e.dolstra at tudelft.nl
Fri Jun 26 11:43:56 CEST 2009

Hi,

Lluís Batlle wrote:

> I don't know what the nix developer intended to do, but I think nix
> never worked for me as a 'grep' after -qa '*'.

Grepping the output of nix-env should certainly work.

-q has never supported regular expressions.  The '*' is a special case (for
"match everything"), which unfortunately suggests that it does support regexps.

Regexps would be nice to have however.  They could be supported by -q / -qa
directly, there would be no need for something like a -w flag.