[Nix-dev] git svn and how to install it please?

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Thu Jun 11 16:58:01 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 02:24:04PM +1000, Jeevakan Suresh wrote:
> I think this will solve your problem (add this to your config.nix file)
> {
>     git = { svnSupport = true; };
>     subversion = { perlBindings = true; };
> }
>
> A longer explanation of why you need both lines (and a possible fix) is below:

The assertion should have failed telling you that you need both.
Why didn't it ? I don't know. I added those lines half a year ago
because other fall into this trap that time. So I tried fixing it once
and for all.

About git-foo vs git foo. The first one was used in the passed and is
depreceated. git foo will call $out/lib/exec/git-foo for you. So git foo
is the recommended way. (You still have to use man git-foo though!)

About implicit dependencies:
Search the mailinglist. This topic has popped up multiple times. Eelco
Dolstra preferred the assertion way to not make nix install the same
package multiple times (which will happen anyway (IMHO)).
I think kosmikus preferst the "make it work" approach.
I may not recall this correctly. So read up the old threads about the
same topic.

But: We need a wiki to write this down once and forall. At the moment I
can't afford woring on nix. I have to earn some money. Sorry.

About setting the settings globally:
This seems to work for me (Don't ask me why:)

Add those settings to /root/.nixpkgs/config.nix.

Eg veryify by prepending:

  if true then throw "nix hit me. remove this throw again"
  else

If nixos doesn't rebuilt throwing that message you've won.

Tony, if you still can't get it to work contact me on irc.freenode.net
(ping me or write a private message to MarcWeber2)

Good luck
Marc Weber