[Nix-dev] Syntax highlighting

Tony White tonywhite100 at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 10 10:44:02 CEST 2009

2009/6/10 Andres Loeh <andres.loeh at googlemail.com>:
> Haskell and Nix are completely different languages. Just because
> they're both functional does not mean that they have a similar syntax.
>
> Of course, syntax highlighting for Nix is still possible, and it would
> be nice if we could make that available for more editors.
>
> Andres

Thanks for the info, I wasn't sure and that's why I asked.
Writing a syntax highlighting plugin shouldn't be an issue when I
understand the syntax further.

http://www.kate-editor.org/downloads/syntax_highlighting?kateversion=3.2

Appears to be where the current ones are and an example of :

http://www.kate-editor.org/syntax/3.2/haskell.xml

Indicates it's just a simple xml file.
So because nix and nixos are changing all the time as they both
develop, I should create it as a stand alone project and hold off from
trying to submit it anywhere but make it available for anyone that may
want it.

It's an interesting idea and I'm sure that the more I use nix and the
more I think about it, it will be something I will want and therefore
create.

What would really help would be if anyone can point me towards an
editor that has *.nix syntax highlighting, then I could re-use
something that already works to begin with as a starting point.

Thanks,
Tony