[Nix-dev] Syntax highlighting

Tony White tonywhite100 at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 10 04:10:06 CEST 2009

Hello,

According to :

http://nixos.org/about.html

"Nix is a purely functional package manager. This means that it treats
packages like values in purely functional programming languages such
as Haskell — they are built by functions that don’t have side-effects,
and they never change after they have been built."

I know nothing about haskell but am I right in saying that the syntax
of the .nix files is the same as haskell?
Or do the .nix files have a syntax of which is slightly different to haskell?
If yes it's haskell syntax, I like syntax highlighting in editors. I
use it a lot with css, php, javascript and xhtml, etc in kwrite.
It makes spotting silly errors very easy.
kwrite will automatically use the respective highlighting syntax with
the appropriate file when opened, css for example.

So would it be a bad idea if I was to post a wish request on the kde
bugzilla requesting that all .nix files be treated as having haskell
syntax in kwrite (katepart) And as a result request that the editor
make use of it's built-in haskell syntax highlighting for .nix files?
Would anyone vote for it? :)

Is this a good or bad idea? Thoughts and advice please.

Thanks,
Tony