[Nix-dev] bug? nix-env -qa doesnt find what it should

Tony White tonywhite100 at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 8 09:09:30 CEST 2009

2009/6/7 Lluís Batlle <viriketo at gmail.com>:
> 2009/6/7 Tony White <tonywhite100 at googlemail.com>:
>> nix-env -qa gcc
>> trace: Str("Deprecated use of lib.getAttr!",[])
>> error: selector `gcc' matches no derivations
>
> What I meant is that you can search for a full name matching (the name
> attribute without the version).
>
> There is no derivation with name 'gcc'.
> $ nix-env -qa '*' | grep gcc
> trace: Str("Deprecated use of lib.getAttr!",[])
> avr-gcc-libc
> gcc-upc-4.0.3.5
> gcc-wrapper-2.95.3
> gcc-wrapper-3.3.6
> gcc-wrapper-3.4.6
> gcc-wrapper-4.0.4
> gcc-wrapper-4.1.2
> gcc-wrapper-4.2.4
> gcc-wrapper-4.3.3
> gcc-wrapper-4.3.3
> gccmakedep-1.0.2
> llvm-gcc42-2.2
>

> For example, I can do:
> $ nix-env -qa irssi
> trace: Str("Deprecated use of lib.getAttr!",[])
> irssi-0.8.13
>
> Regards,
> Lluís.

Thanks Lluís,
OK. I now understand how -qa behaves.
Interesting method for a query. Like find everything and then filter
it; works well though. :)
I guess nix-env -qw (w is for wild card) Which does the same thing as
nix-env -qa '*' | grep  might be a nice feature to add.
Thanks for the info.

Kind regards,
Tony