[Nix-dev] Re: CPU type misdetection

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Tue Jan 27 16:56:02 CET 2009

Eelco Dolstra <e.dolstra at tudelft.nl>
writes:

> Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>
>> Recently, I was told that the `lm' flag (for "long mode") in
>> /proc/cpuinfo roughly means "x86-64".  My laptop has an Intel Core 2
>> Duo, which has this flags, and really is "x86-64".  However, to Nix, my
>> system is `i686-linux' although it could/should be `x86_64-linux'.
>
> What does uname -a say?

i686

> If you're running a 32-bit kernel, then it's an i686-linux system, even if the
> CPU is 64-bit capable.  This is a correct determination since you won't be able
> to run 64-bit programs.

Indeed.  Supposedly, I should have chosen the x86-64 install CD in the
first place, as Marc suggested.  It probably isn't reasonable to expect
the installation procedure to say "hey, did you know your CPU is
actually an x86-64 one?"...

Perhaps I could add `__system = "x86_64-linux"' and try a
`nixos-rebuild'?  That'd be a nice way to show off if NixOS could handle
that.  :-)

Thanks,
Ludo'.