[Nix-dev] Re: May I remove the old python code?

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Sun Jan 11 02:08:12 CET 2009

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 01:14:44AM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Peter Simons <simons at cryp.to> writes:
>
> > Hi Marc,
> >
> >  > Using PYHTONPATH is not enough because it doesn't make python read
> >  > the .pth files telling python where to find additional modules.
> >
> > this statement doesn't seem to make sense. ${PYTHONPATH} is used to find
> > the installed modules. When a module is listed in that variable, it *is*
> > found. My understanding is that *.pth files are Python's native
> > mechanism for computing the proper setting for ${PYTHONPATH}. If
> > ${PYTHONPATH} is set correctly, however, the *.pth files aren't needed.
> > Now, all the information we need is available in the Nix package
> > description -- Nix *can* compute a proper ${PYTHONPATH}. The addition of
> > ${NIX_PYTHON_SITES} feels unnecessary to me.
> That's also my feeling.  In general, I would find it surprising that we
> have to solve a path-related problem not already solved upstream.
Tell me how. It didn't work. And I really don't want to duplicate effort
python can do. You *can* use PYHTONPATH. But the only way to do so is by
adding all directories containing .py files which will result in non
standard python behaviour. Go on if you're able to change it. It didn't
work for me in the past and it does now.

> > Besides, I am really not fond of the fact that the new Python expression
> > contains the to-be-installed Python modules. That logic is wrong: Those
> > modules ought to reference Python, not the other way round.
The libraries won't work without interpreter :-)
Anyay I won't remvoe the *old* version at this point in time then. That
was what i really wanted to know.

Shall I add a comment and if so which one?

Sincerly
Marc Weber