[Nix-dev] Feedback / Is a contributor wanted?

Artyom Shalkhakov artyom.shalkhakov at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 17:09:56 CET 2009

Hello Marc,

2009/1/4 Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de>:
> REPL? What is that?

REPL is short for read-eval-print loop. It's the kind of thing Lispers
use.

>> - what is the best (easiest/most proper?) way to run wpa_supplicant:
> For now installl it and hook up some custom scripts
>> a) using Wicd (wicd.sourceforge.net). I think that I could write an
>> expression for Wicd
>> (wicd.sourceforge.net), but I don't know how to add Upstart jobs to
>> NixOS, which is needed
>> for Wicd to function properly.
>> b) is there a NetworkManager package?
> I don't know about one

I tried to package wicd-1.5.7, and everything seemed to go fine, but
then I discovered that there are at least two sets of packages for python:
one is "python-new", and it's incompatible with another. Where can
I get more info?

I'd just use the stable version (pkgs/development/python-modules), but
there's no Python D-Bus binding available. :(

Any thoughts?

> a) send to this list
> b) commit them to git://mawercer.de/nixpkgs
> (new branch) so that I can cherry-pick and commit them
> c) ask niksnut for a svn account.

Thanks, I'll send the patches here.

> About your networking trouble: Maybe you want to rewrite the
> network-interfaces upstart script completely and add some commands
> manually to see wether that works. Keep in mind that useDHCP is set to
> true by default..

Okay, I'll see what I can do. (I suppose that nobody minds making NixOS
more desktop-friendly? -- at least for geeks)

Cheers,
Artyom Shalkhakov.