[Nix-dev] Package collection problem.

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Thu Feb 19 10:45:35 CET 2009

> I wonder how possible it will be to have multiple selections of packages: for
> example a Python-install with minimal/standard libraries so that you can test
> your thing's ease of compatibility for other people, as well as Python that
> has access to lots of libraries that you use as developer / normally.

Have a look at the python wrapper (pkgs/development/interpreters/python-new/2.5/default.nix line 55).
It it defines NIX_PYTHON_SITES which is a list of libraries which will
be found by python. You can modify that and should be able to get what
you want easily.  Also have a look at the other python-3 thread. Peter
is interested in two different installations as well. So you have to
decide how this should look like. Either

(by PATH)
$PATH=~/.nix-profile-python-minimal/bin
$python

$PATH=~/.nix-profile-python-full/bin
$python

or (by suffix)

$python-wrapper-2.5.0-minimal
$python-wrapper-2.5.0-full

which one do you prefer?
The first one will be more compatible because most applications will
only look for "python", correct?

or (do you have another idea?)

About testing on other distros someone else might have more
experience.. I think nix is build on different distros frequently.

Marc Weber