[Nix-dev] Re: Python 3

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Wed Feb 18 20:23:45 CET 2009

Hi Marc,

 >> We have two different expressions for Python 2.5 in Nix. That state
 >> is not a particularly satisfactory.
 >
 > My view on this: I'm using composableDerivation. [...]

well, for me personally that is an implementation detail that I don't care
about much; I care for having a working Python installation, and I'd like to
be able to install Python 2.5 and 3.0.1 simultaneously. I mean, Nix was
designed to support this particular use-case, so I'd like to use Nix for what
it was designed to do!

Can your new-and-improved python expression support that? Can I install two
different Python versions with the corresponding set of libraries?

 > If you fix the default expressions thats fine with me.

What do you mean by "fix"? What is broken about the current default
expression?

Take care,
Peter