[Nix-dev] Reorganization of the nixpkg file hierarchy

Michael Raskin 7c6f434c at mail.ru
Fri Feb 6 09:04:34 CET 2009

John Altobelli wrote:
> For the past week I've been working on a branch of nixpkgs that moves
> the packages into an file hierarchy modeled after the Gentoo portage
> system (http://gentoo-portage.com/Browse).  I have since completed the
> reorganization and would like to get the opinions of the developers

First, I want to thank you for making such an effort in an attempt to
improve NixPkgs collection.

> This system would use a single directory organizational structure with
> the project directory directly under that directory (ie
> media-sound/audacious).  The existing packages have been moved to
> where they would exist in the portage system.  I am not saying at all
> that they need to remain there, as directories can be combined and/or
> renamed.  However, at this time it was easier for me to stick to the
> portage tree for the most part in the initial reorganization.

Personally, I would prefer a multilevel system. Personally, I would
prefer to discuss changes in a more local way. For example, if
development/libraries were split in Gentoo-borrowed categories, I would
consider it an improvement (over current disordered state). Merging
tools/ and applications/, on the other hand, seems to be better done
based on existing system.

> I feel this system is much easier to locate packages and more friendly
> to new developers.  Most of the changes are to nixpkgs, however there
> are a few adjustments that needed to be made to nixos.  I have tested
> both and in fact have them as my /etc/nixos/nixos and
> /etc/nixos/nixpkgs without any problems.

I think that it is a time to start tagging (as in using symlinks). I
think that from your patch we can automatically determine the
many-to-many correspondence between Gentoo hierarchy and old NixPkgs
hierarchy. Then - as the first step - it would be very useful to have
"gentoo-correspondence" directory with Gentoo directory structure and
symlinks to all our directories with the packages from that Gentoo
package group.

There are some optimistic cases:
If our modern system allows one-to-one mapping of leaves to gentoo
groups, those who want will navigate it via Gentoo-like symlinks. If we
have some Gentoo group as an intermediate node split further - symlink
that node, and we just continue to use better granularity. If we  have
some Gentoo group split between distant leaves - we-ell, maybe it is
time to merge tools/ and applications. If we confuse a few Gentoo groups
- - we should look whether it is worth splitting now (and symlinks will
help to find that point).

In the problematic cases, when we have two groups corresponding to two
Gentoo groups but split in another way, we could discuss them case-by-case..