[Nix-dev] Reorganization of the nixpkg file hierarchy

John Altobelli acocaracha at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 21:06:45 CET 2009

Hello everyone,

For the past week I've been working on a branch of nixpkgs that moves
the packages into an file hierarchy modeled after the Gentoo portage
system (http://gentoo-portage.com/Browse).  I have since completed the
reorganization and would like to get the opinions of the developers
here about whether they like this new hierarchy and whether it would
be worth moving into mainline.

This system would use a single directory organizational structure with
the project directory directly under that directory (ie
media-sound/audacious).  The existing packages have been moved to
where they would exist in the portage system.  I am not saying at all
that they need to remain there, as directories can be combined and/or
renamed.  However, at this time it was easier for me to stick to the
portage tree for the most part in the initial reorganization.

I feel this system is much easier to locate packages and more friendly
to new developers.  Most of the changes are to nixpkgs, however there
are a few adjustments that needed to be made to nixos.  I have tested
both and in fact have them as my /etc/nixos/nixos and
/etc/nixos/nixpkgs without any problems.

Here are my git repos, they are both up to date (for anonymous svn
checkout) at the time of this email:
git://git.assembla.com/nixos.git
git://git.assembla.com/nixpkgs.git

Thanks and I look forward to feedback and discussion,

John (acoc)