[Nix-dev] Request for comments: Xorg app-defaults

Eelco Dolstra e.dolstra at tudelft.nl
Thu Dec 24 19:08:29 CET 2009

Hi,

Lluís Batlle wrote:

> some programs install app-defaults (a typical X resources file), that
> are needed for the program to work. This is the case of xfontsel,
> which I commited recently.

Weird, I remember having xfontsel a long time ago... Maybe it was removed from
X.org.

> Has anyone thought of a solution to that? By now the app-defaults
> files are installed in $out, but they are never read.

There are several environment variables related to app-defaults:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/x-faq/part2/section-22.html

Setting these in a wrapper script should make the program work.  And perhaps we
should also set it in /etc/bashrc to include the app-defaults directories in the
system/user profiles.