[Nix-dev] NixOS loosing terminal inputs

Lluís Batlle viriketo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 00:37:40 CET 2009

Hello,

I'm using linux-2.6.32 in a new notebook I bought, and I notice that
after some minutes of having booted nixos, maybe 5 minutes of normal
work in virtual consoles, all terminals stop taking input.

This affects all VCs, and even any open ssh session (ptys).

As I had programs running in the shell I was using in a vc, I see the
program still goes on (rsync), and the screen shows any update.

The vc cursor stops blinking, too. And the alt-sysrq requests somehow
'work' (the minimum reactions are written to the screen), but I can't
change the vt (alt-fX), and output for some listing requests
(backtrace, processes, memory) does not output more than a single line
of "SysRq: blablabla".

What can stop any terminal input in a linux, even for the ptys?

Is this a nixos upstart problem? An upstart timeout on something? A
basic daemon dying (udev?).
I see upstart still works, because the reaction to "kill-all-tasks" is
upstart respawning those killed. After that, the inputs are blocked
still.

Ah, the gpm cursor moves well on screen, but I cannot paste anything.

Any idea? I don't know even what to start looking for.

Thank you,
Lluís.