[Nix-dev] Re: [Nix-commits] SVN commit: nix - 18993 - rob - nixos/trunk/modules/services/databases

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Thu Dec 17 02:15:49 CET 2009

Excerpts from Nicolas Pierron's message of Thu Dec 17 02:04:44 +0100 2009:
> may be it should be named pkg instead of mysql, but then I wonder what
> use is the nixpkgs overwrite?  So there is no reason to do such things
> excepts if you are in a sub-module, which is not the case.

Let's not forget that many servers are running multiple mysql instances.
Eg mysql 4 an mysql 5.

So I wonder whether we shouldn't rewrite everyhting anyway so that you
can launch any service multiple times. I agree that this use case is
rare. But it would be nice to have it though.
So using package override to make mysql look like mysql4 or such will
limit its use.

Marc Weber