[Nix-dev] Re: [Nix-commits] SVN commit: nix - 18986 - MarcWeber - nixos/trunk/tests/test-nixos-install-from-cd

Eelco Dolstra e.dolstra at tudelft.nl
Wed Dec 16 12:53:22 CET 2009

Hi,

Michael Raskin wrote:

> Eelco Dolstra wrote:
>> Having a test for the installer is great (and on my todo list for a while), but
>> is there a reason why you're reinventing the testing framework in
>> lib/test-driver?  For sure there are many things that can be improved there, but
>> it seems better to have some consistency between the NixOS regression tests.
>
> Well, it is not obvious how to use the NixOS regression tests (designed
> to work by simulated an installed OS) here directly.

Obviously the test driver has to be adapted to support booting from a CD image
rather than from the host Nix store through CIFS, but that seems easier than
duplicating all the other functionality.  For instance, the test driver has
support for executing commands in the VM, waiting until jobs are ready, etc.

And another instance of reinventing the wheel: to issue commands in the VM, Marc
added a module named "module-insecure.nix" that enables password-less root
logins through SSH.  But modules/testing/test-instrumentation.nix already
provides such a backdoor into the system (and has fewer dependencies that might
fail).