[Nix-dev] Re: [Nix-commits] SVN commit: nix - 18897 - MarcWeber - in nixpkgs/trunk/pkgs/applications/version-management/git-and-tools: . git

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Sat Dec 12 02:01:07 CET 2009

> Why don’t you reply to the list?
Because I pressed the wrong key again, sry
I repeat my previous mail here.

> Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de> writes:
>
> > I have a local patch I wasn't allowed to commit to the repository.
> >  Applying it this way I notice when it breaks.
> >  This is the advantage I see over overriding the whole package.
> >
> >  Sorry I still haven't had time to ask git maintainers to integrate it
> >  upstream.
> >
> >  I notice that there are different ways to accomplish this:
> >
> >  config.nix:
> >
> >    if git.version != "known version" then throw "time to update your git patch"
> >    else /* copy paste the whole expression here ... */
> >
> >  If you can't stand it reverse the patch.
> >  I can live with that.
> >  I don't want to spend more time discussing it.
> >  Other things are more important to me.
> > I don't want to spend more time discussing it.
> > Other things are more important to me.
>
> Same for me.  However, we’ve had similar discussions before, where
> several of us raised concerns along these lines; I thought we had
> reached a consensus, but apparently I was mistaken, hence my message.
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

Consensus was about not including the patch.

It was'nt about providing a getConfig call allowing me to add the patch
easily.

As I said if you feel that strongly about those lines revert my patch
again. I don't think it hurts anyone either.

Maybe I should remve it and replace mkDerivation by
composableDerivation.
Then I can add patches without anyone knowing ..

Marc Weber