[Nix-dev] Running NixOS in VirtualBox

Sander van der Burg - EWI S.vanderBurg at tudelft.nl
Wed Dec 9 20:52:25 CET 2009

I don't really believe that either of the qemu_kvm or VirtualBox is the better VM solution. They have a lot of features in common, but also some differences. According to some benchmarks on the internet they also don't differ that much performance-wise.

qemu_kvm uses the KVM subsystem to implement virtualization, so it requires a guest OS supporting it (or otherwise it will fallback to full emulation). VirtualBox uses its own virtualization method not based on KVM and also does not use the virtualization properties of the CPU.

I find VirtualBox very convenient to use, because it has a very nice gui that integrates nicely with KDE. Moreover, all the stuff that you need to setup virtual machines are present in the GUI and easy to use. Furthermore, it supports the most common operating systems (Various Windows editions, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, OpenSolaris, OS/2) out of the box and can be easily setup by following some steps in the wizards. All these features are in VirtualBox, because it is also commercial software (dual licensed under the GPL and a commercial license).

kvm_qemu in contrary is missing a nice GUI, but does not really lack the same features. In my experience qemu is also better scriptable than VirtualBox.