[Nix-dev] Running NixOS in VirtualBox

Sander van der Burg - EWI S.vanderBurg at tudelft.nl
Wed Dec 9 16:45:40 CET 2009

I just noticed that somebody wrote a wiki page about how to install NixOS in VirtualBox. I've updated the instructions a bit, since I managed to get the guest additions working (some of you may not have noticed this and it isn't mentioned elsewhere on the NixOS website).

In order to use the VirtualBox video driver (which offers faster display operations and to have an integrated mouse cursor) this property can be used:

services.xserver.videoDriver = "virtualbox";

and to use additional properties in KDE (e.g. Host-Guest clipboard support, on-demand resizing of the X display) this package can be added: (I haven't investigated integration of these tools with other WMs):

environment.kdePackages = [ kernelPackages.virtualboxGuestAdditions ];

These properties will make using NixOS in VirtualBox much more convenient to use :-)

The only thing I didn't manage to get working is OpenGL rendering support in guest VMs, but I don't think this will have much priority for now :-)

Best,

Sander van der Burg