[Nix-dev] Re: [Nix-commits] SVN commit: nix - 18833 - viric - in nixpkgs/branches/stdenv-updates/pkgs: development/compilers/gcc-4.3 development/compilers/gcc-4.4 top-level

Lluís Batlle viriketo at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 23:36:11 CET 2009

Hep,

2009/12/8 Ludovic Courtès <ludo at gnu.org>:
> Hey,
>>>
>>> The target libs are built with the just-built cross compiler, as
>>> explained in build.html.
>> You said "...  you should also provide the target libraries and
>> headers ...". I did not mean the target libs coming with gcc.
>
> This sentence is quoted from build.html.  I presume “target libraries”
> refers to glibc, GMP, MPFR, etc., in this context.
gcc does not need target gmp or mpfr. But it needs (I'd say, it can
make good use) a target glibc. So I presume the "target libraries"
there are mostly the libc, and whatever other library needed built for
the target system.
But, if I still have not built any cross-compiler, how will I get a
glibc for the target system, in order to pass it to the build of the
cross-gcc through --with-libs?

>> Creating a cross-toolchain, we start without any target library, and
>> without a cross compiler.
>
> Right.  So how did you address it with 4.3?
There, --without-headers worked well. They work well also in 4.4.1 and
in the current gcc svn trunk (say other people). It was a problem of
packaging zlib in 4.4.2, I guess, because the configure script has not
changed related to that.

Amike,
Lluís