[Nix-dev] Re: [Nix-commits] SVN commit: nix - 18833 - viric - in nixpkgs/branches/stdenv-updates/pkgs: development/compilers/gcc-4.3 development/compilers/gcc-4.4 top-level

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Tue Dec 8 23:04:36 CET 2009

Saluton,

Lluís Batlle <viriketo at gmail.com> writes:

> 2009/12/8 Ludovic Courtès <ludo at gnu.org>:

[...]

>>> It may very well work - while I use --with-headers, I did not try
>>> --with-libs. I will try. I hope we can avoid then the libtool patches
>>> for -B.
>>
>> Yes, that’d be great.
> As I told in a recent letter, it does not work for non-cross-builds.

Right, but we don’t need the Libtool patch for non-cross builds anyway.

>> According to http://gcc.gnu.org/install/build.html $BOOT_CFLAGS (and I
>> assume $BOOT_LDFLAGS) is only used by the stage2 and stage3 compilers,
>> regardless of whether we’re building a cross-compiler.
> Those stages don't happen when building a cross-compiler.

True.  Are these variables ignored altogether when building a cross
compiler?

[...]

>>  If you are not building a C library in the same source tree as GCC,
>>  you should also provide the target libraries and headers before
>>  configuring GCC, specifying the directories with --with-sysroot or
>>  --with-headers and --with-libs.
> How would I get target libraries, if I don't have any cross-compiler
> to build them?

The target libs are built with the just-built cross compiler, as
explained in build.html.

> And for glibc to be able to install proper headers, I think it would
> need at least to be able to run a target compiler for some configure
> tests. But this latter is only a guess.

I think this bootstrapping issue is not too different from that of
‘stdenvLinux’, is it?

Thanks,
Ludo’.