[Nix-dev] Re: [Nix-commits] SVN commit: nix - 18833 - viric - in nixpkgs/branches/stdenv-updates/pkgs: development/compilers/gcc-4.3 development/compilers/gcc-4.4 top-level

Lluís Batlle viriketo at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 19:27:18 CET 2009

El 8 / desembre / 2009 19:04, Lluís Batlle <viriketo at gmail.com> ha escrit:
> 2009/12/8 Ludovic Courtès <ludo at gnu.org>:
>>  [y]ou should also provide the target libraries and headers before
>>  configuring GCC, specifying the directories with --with-sysroot or
>>  --with-headers and --with-libs
>>
>> How does it work for you?
> --with-libs copies all the path-you-pass/* to the proper target/lib
> directory inside the gcc build. --with-headers does something similar
> with the headers. Then those paths are automatically included in the
> build process.
> It may very well work - while I use --with-headers, I did not try
> --with-libs. I will try. I hope we can avoid then the libtool patches
> for -B.
With a little more thinking, I understand that the --with-headers and
--with-libs option can be used only for cross-building, and therefore
makes us stay with the libtool patches to get our glibc (on gcc native
builds) startfiles taken on dynamic linking of some libraries.

>> It seems similar to what I described in
>> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2008-04/msg00185.html .  My understanding
>> was that $LDFLAGS_FOR_TARGET alone is not enough; ‘-B’ also needs to be
>> passed in $BOOT_LDFLAGS at ‘make’ time (not at ‘configure’ time).
> The BOOT_LDFLAGS are used only in building a native compiler, for the
> internal bootstrap, afaik.
> And even using them, -B will not pass to the libmudflap shared library
> I think. Have you checked that?
I think that BOOT_*FLAGS will not help, but having checked a bit more,
I think FLAGS_FOR_TARGET will help. I'll try.