[Nix-dev] gcc-wrapper relying on libXXX.so

Lluís Batlle viriketo at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 18:35:11 CEST 2009

Hello,

I've seen the gcc wrapper relies on libXXX.so, where XXX would be the
name specified in the linking stage as "-lXXX" to ld.

Looking at debian and fedora distributions, I see they don't have such
libXXX.so in general, while they have libXXX.so.* or libXXX-*.so.

Do you know what are the filename practices at the time of installing
libraries (and the usual symlinking around), for example, according to
libtool, autoconf and company? What other significant differences
between distributions you know? (not having libXXX.so, for me, is a
significant difference).
I'm not referring to the special case for the libc, where libc.so is
also distributed in debian and fedora, and has some ld scripting. Is
it the only case of a .so file containing a ld script? Is it the only
case where ld expects a script instead of a shared object elf?

Regards,
Lluís.