[Nix-dev] Re: Build failures on hydra and maintainers.

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Thu Aug 13 16:25:29 CEST 2009

Michael Raskin <7c6f434c at mail.ru> writes:

> I do like such an idea, but we have to make some decision about policy
> points. We would need to declare that "maintainer" rights and
> obligations are quite lower than in some other projects.

Agreed, to some extent.

> I.e. we do not suppose that maintainers explicitly acknowledge changes
> to the packages made by non-maintainers.

I'd personally prefer discussion before non-trivial changes are made to
packages I maintain (but I definitely won't get mad if others fix the
bugs I implement ;-)).

I see the maintainers are the people to talk to when dealing with a
package, or having troubles with it.

> Also, it is not supposed that maintainers always keep packages
> up-to-date.

Agreed.  AIUI, that's essentially the same in Debian, for instance.

> We need to lower the bar for a trivial reason: there are some packages
> where original packager is no more interested and the interested people
> do not consider it correct to proclaim themselves maintainers without
> making any changes (while no changes are needed..)

Right.  Ideally, when one is willing to give up about a package, they
should remove themselves from `meta.maintainers', which others will
(hopefully) have an opportunity to notice.

Thanks,
Ludo'.