[Nix-dev] problems with nix man under ubuntu

Bill Trost trost at cloud.rain.com
Thu Aug 13 04:22:44 CEST 2009

Hi, all,

I'm unable to use the nix "man" package from the -unstable channel because
the man pages it generates are illegible: To wit, when I use something like
"man man", less displays the resulting man page with a slew of
user-visible escape sequences, eg:

  ESC[1mNAMEESC[0m
         man - format and display the on-line manual pages

  ESC[1mSYNOPSISESC[0m

(where the "ESC" bits are in inverse video). I'm using the nix version of
less, not that it seems to make a difference. I'm not setting the
LESS environment variable, although that seems to make no difference,
either. Obviously, I don't have these problems with Ubuntu's "man"
program.

So, any suggestions on how to prevent this behavior?

Thanks,
Bill