[Nix-dev] Tracking upstream releases

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Tue Aug 11 14:22:30 CEST 2009

Hello,

Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de> writes:

> Or do we want to add kind of scripting language to extract updates from
> *any* kind of html page presenting download links?

IMO (and as discussed at
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.distributions.nixos/2421) there
should be a `meta.watchURL' attribute (or similar) specifying a regexp
of URLs to be watched.

A dedicated tool, say `nix-watch-releases', would use this information
to inform package maintainers of the availability of new upstream
releases.  However, it'd be up to the package maintainer to actually
test and commit the updated package, to avoid "automated breakage".

What do you think?

Thanks,
Ludo'.